Thursday, October 4, 2007

techno stuff

I think it is great that I am learning new technology but I really can`t see the relevance of all this blogging stuff to my life, either personally or professionally.
Personally, I think the idea of blogging is extremely self indulgent, surely professional people such as librarians can find more enlightening ways to spend their time.
Professionally, it is valuable to keep abreast of what our customers are doing but I have never been asked to assist with blogging and I think it is up there with accessing bank accounts as far as privacy issues are concerned; setting up accounts/ passwords/ personal information...... What is the policy relating to providing assistance with personal blogs?
To me there are far more important skills that apply to my job as information skills librarian that I have not received any training for - assisting customers with relevant computer skills such as use of usb/ memory sticks and cards, transferring data from emails, editing photos etc.
I don`t wish to appear negative but I do wish to be honest!

No comments: